Summer Basketball Camp FAQs
- Who can attend Spurs Basketball Camp?
Spurs Basketball Camps are open to youth ages 6 to 18. Requirements (i.e. age, gender, skill level) vary based on session. Click 'Session Details' under each camp session for more details.
- Is there a required Spurs Basketball Camp physical form that needs to be completed?
We do not provide a physical form for Spurs Basketball Camp. We highly suggest using a school sports physical form or a doctor's office medical form. A written approval signed and dated from your physician will also be accepted. Please scan or take a clear photo of the written approval and email to mailto: email@example.com
- When will the Spurs player be at camp?
Due to coaches' relocations, professional trades, league mandates and scheduling conflicts, some subsitution of camp staff and personnel may be necessary. For this reason, Spurs/Stars players and/or coahces cannot be guaranteed each day. Players will be in appearance for one hour on one day of the designated camp.
- What are camp hours?
Camp hours vary based on type of camp session. See below for more details:
Invitational Camp: Monday thru Thursday, 9:00am - 4:00pm each day
Day Camps: Monday thru Friday, 9:00am - 4:00pm each day
Half Day Camps: Monday thru Friday, 9:00am - 12:00pm or 1:00pm - 4:00pm
Overnight Camp: Sunday thru Friday
- What time are registration and check-in?
Registration/check-in begins one hour prior to the start of camp on Monday mornings (day camps only).
- What time is the Camp Introduction?
The Camp Introduction takes place on Monday at the start of camp (start time varies based on session) and lasts approximately 15 minutes.
- Do parents have to stay for the Camp Introduction?
Parents are not required to stay for the camp introduction; however, it is strongly encouraged . During this time Camp Director, Nevil Shed, will review camp rules and guidelines, expectations, and the week’s schedule of events. The athletic trainer will review procedures for treating injuries, illnesses, and administering medicine. In addition, security will discuss the process for picking up your child during the week of camp.
- Do you take walk-up registrations?
Walk-up registrations are accepted only if the camp session is NOT sold out. The parent/guardian must fill out and submit the registration form and payment upon walk-up. Each camper must have a signed physical form from their physician dated within one year of camp in order to participate.
- What time can I drop my child off at camp?
Campers can be dropped off up to 30 minutes prior to the start of camp. Camper supervision is not guaranteed any earlier.
- What time do I need to pick-up my child?
Campers MUST be picked up prompty at the times indicated below:
Coyote Half Day Camp - Session 1: M-F @ 12:00pm
Coyote Half Day Camp - Session 2: M-F @ 4:00pm
All Other Day Camps: M-F @ 4:00pm
Overnight Camp 1 & 2: Friday Only @ 12:00pm
- Is lunch provided during day camp?
Campers have the option to bring their own sack lunch (refrigeration is not provided) or purchase a Jason's Deli box lunch for $50 for the week. The Jason's Deli box lunch option is available for purchase during the registration process. You can access your account at any time to make changes to your order up until 12:00am on Wednesday prior to the child's participation in camp. Gatorade and water are available.
- Does my child need to bring their own basketball?
No, basketballs will be provided during camp hours for participants. Please leave all personal basketballs at home.
- Can parents stay to watch camp?
Yes, parents are more than welcome to stay during camp hours to watch their child.
- Is there security provided at camp?
Yes, there is an armed officer on-site during camp hours.
- How are the kids grouped during camp?
Campers are grouped according to their age and skill level. Camper to coach ratio is generally 10:1.
- What skill level is required for Spurs Basketball Camp?
Spurs Basketball Camp welcomes players of all skill levels; however, select camp sessions require specfic skill levels.
- How recent does my child’s physical form need to be?
The authorized physical form must be approved by a Physician. Please email a scan or picture of the physical/written and signed physician's approval to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Immunization records are not required.
- Are there scholarships available for camp?
Camp scholarships are currently not available.
- What time is check-in & check-out for Overnight Camp?
CHECK-IN: 2:30pm – 3:30pm (Sunday, June 18th) @ the McDermott Center (Campus map attached)
CAMP INTRO: 3:30pm – 4:00pm (Sunday, June 18th) @ the McDermott Center
DORM MOVE-IN: 4:00pm - 5:00pm (Sunday, June 18th) @ Joeris Hall
PARENTS DISMISSAL: 5:00pm (Sunday, June 18th)
CAMP END/DISMISSAL: 12:00pm (Friday, June 23rd)
- What is the procedure for Check-in at Overnight Camp?
A parent/guardian MUST accompany campers during check-in Sunday afternoon. Upon arrival, campers MUST check-in at the registration table located in the front foyer of the McDermott Center. Please leave luggage and personal belongings in your vehicle. Dorm move-in will be held AFTER check-in. Parents should then accompany campers to EACH station located in the gymnasium (jersey, photography, athletic trainer, pizza, Gatorade giveaways). Please allow at least 30 minutes for the check-in process. Camp introduction will start immediately following check-in. It is HIGHLY reccommended parents stay as detailed information regarding Overnight Camp will be discussed at this time.
After the check-in process is complete, parents are asked to escort campers to their respective dormitories to drop off belongings immediately after camp introduction (all campers will be staying in Joeris Hall). Parents will need to drive their vehicles from the McDermott Center up to the Alonso Ancira Parking Garage (coaches will be directing traffic). At this time, you will unload your campers belongings and head down to the first level of the parking garage to receive your dorm room key.
- What is the procedure for Check-out at Overnight Camp?
Upon departure, campers must check-out of their respective dorm room by turning in their room key to the appropriate staff member. There will be a $30 fee for any keys that are lost or not turned in.
- What does my child need to bring to Overnight Camp?
Overnight Camp Checklist
- Bedding: linens (twin size), pillow & blanket
- Bath towels
- Toiletries: toothbrush, toothpaste, shampoo, soap etc.
- Alarm clock
- Basketball shoes & walking shoes
- Athletic shorts*
*Need one week’s supply of these articles of clothing
Cell phones are permitted, but we strongly recommend that they are kept in the campers’ rooms.
We strongly recommend that the camper’s name is on ALL articles of clothing and personal belongings. Please leave ALL valuables at home. Spurs Camp Staff is NOT responsible for any lost, stolen or misplaced items.
- What is included in the registration fee for Overnight Camp?
The Overnight Camp registration fee includes:
- Three (3) meals a day
- 24-hour staff and medical supervision
- 24-hour on-site security
- Spurs Camp reversible practice jersey
- Gatorade water bottle
- Gatorade sports towel
- Coaches evaluation
- Certificate of completion
- Special appearances from a current Spurs player, a current Spurs coach, and a former Spurs Player*
- Spurs current and/or former player autograph*
- Opportunity to take a professional photo with the Spurs Championship trophy or Spurs Championship rings**
*Due to coaches’ relocations, professional trades, league mandates and scheduling conflicts, some substitution of camp staff and personnel may be necessary. For this reason, Spurs/Stars players and/or coaches cannot be guaranteed each day. Players will be in appearance for one hour on one day of the desginated camp.
**Championship memorabilia for professional photo subject to availability. Item may vary based on camp session.
- How can I submit a roommate request for my child?
Roommate requests should be submitted upon registration. If not, please email email@example.com and one of our staff members will assist you. Requests will NOT be accepted within two weeks of the camp start date.
- How many campers are assigned to a dorm room?
Dorm room occupancy varies based on dormitory and floor level. Dorm rooms generally sleep anywhere from one (1) to five (5) people; however, most dorm rooms only accomodate two (2) people. There are a limited number of suites available that sleep up to four (4) and five (5) people.
- Can I take my child off of the UIW Campus and bring them back during Overnight Camp?
In the event of an emergency, campers may leave campus with a parent/guardian. Camp staff must be notified in advance and the parent/guardian must sign the child out and sign them back in with one of our camp staff members.
- Does my child have to stay in the dorms on the UIW Campus during Overnight Camp?
Yes, due to safety reasons, campers must stay in the dorms during Overnight Camp. NO EXCEPTIONS.
- Is there security during Overnight Camp?
Yes, there is UIW campus security 24 hours-a-day and 24 hour-a-day staff supervision.
- Can my child bring a cell phone to Overnight Camp?
Campers are allowed to have cell phones at camp; however, we strongly encourage campers to keep their phone with them at all times or hidden in a safe place. Camp staff is not responsible for lost or stolen items and they will not hold on to campers' personal belongings.
- What happens if I forgot to pick up my camp photos?
We gather all of the remaining camp photos and mail them to the address on file on your Spurs Sports Programs account shortly after the end of camp.